BCA Club insurance question?

General discussion about BCA related issues. Ask your BCA related questions here.
DaveGrosvenor

BCA Club insurance question?

Post by DaveGrosvenor » Tue 12 Jan 2010 21:55

I would like some clarification about the BCA insurance.

Suppose a club arranges a trip and non-club members come on the trip.

Is the club insurance for our members nullified on this trip?

Is this the case if the non-club members have their own BCA insurance?

What about non-club trips ?

Thanks

Dave

PS I hope this issue has not been answered elsewhere already but I could not find it

Les Williams

Re: BCA Club insurance question?

Post by Les Williams » Fri 15 Jan 2010 21:24

Hi Dave
DaveGrosvenor wrote:I would like some clarification about the BCA insurance.

Suppose a club arranges a trip and non-club members come on the trip.

Is the club insurance for our members nullified on this trip?
From the BCA insurance FAQ - http://british-caving.org.uk/membership ... Q_2008.pdf

86 Q: Does the caving member’s cover only apply to official club trips, or to trips which only have other members of
my club on it?
A: The caving member’s cover applies whoever you go caving with, but if other members of the same trip do not
have caving cover, then you may be more at risk of an uninsured claim than you would otherwise be. The safest
position to be in is to ensure that all other members of your caving trip are caving members of the BCA scheme.
DaveGrosvenor wrote: Is this the case if the non-club members have their own BCA insurance?
61 Q: If guests attend a club caving meet and they have BCA caving
does this provide cover or do we have to take additional
A: They are covered without further action being taken.
DaveGrosvenor wrote: What about non-club trips ?
87 Q: I cave both as a member of a club and independently with family and friends. If I have insurance as a 'caving'
member of my club, does this cover me for personal liability on trips that I undertake independently?
A: Yes.

DaveGrosvenor wrote: PS I hope this issue has not been answered elsewhere already but I could not find it
I hope this answers your questions. If not then please don't hesitate to ask
Les Williams
BCA P & I Officer & Webmaster
CSCC C&A Officer
WCC Caving Secretary
Hidden Earth Conference Manager
In my spare time I sometimes go caving...

DaveGrosvenor

Re: BCA Club insurance question?

Post by DaveGrosvenor » Mon 25 Jan 2010 21:57

Thanks For the answer Les

The insurance issue arose before and during our clubs AGM.
Les Williams wrote: From the BCA insurance FAQ - http://british-caving.org.uk/membership ... Q_2008.pdf
I did find the FAQ and found Q86 to be worrying because it talks about some the possibility of un-insured claims but it is not specific about who is involved in the claim!
86 Q: Does the caving member’s cover only apply to official club trips, or to trips which only have other members of
my club on it?
A: The caving member’s cover applies whoever you go caving with, but if other members of the same trip do not
have caving cover, then you may be more at risk of an uninsured claim than you would otherwise be. The safest
position to be in is to ensure that all other members of your caving trip are caving members of the BCA scheme.
One possibility is that the un-insured claims arise because there are people without insurance.

However there are more worrying scenarios whereby the claim filters upwards.

If it is a club trip then a claim could result in the leader of the club trip being sued or even the club itself being sued.

Is it the case if the leader of the trip has there own BCA insurance then their insurance should cover this claim?

Is it the case if the club is sued then club insurance should cover this claim?

[

Les Williams

Post by Les Williams » Mon 25 Jan 2010 23:46

Hi Dave,

I don't understand this either so I will ask BCA's insurance manager to try and explain.

Les
Les Williams
BCA P & I Officer & Webmaster
CSCC C&A Officer
WCC Caving Secretary
Hidden Earth Conference Manager
In my spare time I sometimes go caving...