2007 insurance

General discussion about BCA related issues. Ask your BCA related questions here.
David Gibson

Post by David Gibson » Fri 02 Feb 2007 12:34

RodG wrote:(Sigh), Well, since Glenn Jones's address doesn't seem to be forthcoming, I have little choice other than to send it to the Great Clearing House in the Sky.
There are several reasons why a "clearing house" is used, and why BCA would (Im sure) urge you to continue to use it even if Glenn's address did become known to you.

If Glenn is ill, or has an accident, or is on holiday, or has to resign, or ... whatever ... it would be a lot easier to continue to provide a service if mail did not have to be retrieved from his house, or arrangements made with his local post office. With the best will in the world, volunteers (and employees too) come and go unexpectedly, and that's why an 'invariant address' is useful. (This is also the reason why Glenn's email address is advertised as membership@british-caving.org.uk and not his personal email. Personal email addresses vary even more frequently than the person doing the job and so some sort of stable contact point is needed).

Also, as has been pointed out, some mail processing takes place at Great Hucklow so, if you send things to Glenn, it screws up the system.

RodG

Post by RodG » Fri 02 Feb 2007 19:46

David Gibson wrote:
RodG wrote:(Sigh), Well, since Glenn Jones's address doesn't seem to be forthcoming, I have little choice other than to send it to the Great Clearing House in the Sky.
There are several reasons why a "clearing house" is used, and why BCA would (Im sure) urge you to continue to use it even if Glenn's address did become known to you.

If Glenn is ill, or has an accident, or is on holiday, or has to resign, or ... whatever ... it would be a lot easier to continue to provide a service if mail did not have to be retrieved from his house, or arrangements made with his local post office. With the best will in the world, volunteers (and employees too) come and go unexpectedly, and that's why an 'invariant address' is useful. (This is also the reason why Glenn's email address is advertised as membership@british-caving.org.uk and not his personal email. Personal email addresses vary even more frequently than the person doing the job and so some sort of stable contact point is needed).
Also, as has been pointed out, some mail processing takes place at Great Hucklow so, if you send things to Glenn, it screws up the system.
(Further sighs) Yes, I understand all this, but for the past two years I have been yanked about by the BCA in my endeavours to secure a membership card. This year seems to have started, at least from my point of view, as even more screwed up than before. I merely wished to get my renewal past the first hurdle. I have acquiessed with the entreaty to go with the system, and my renewal letter will hit the postal system as I go to the pub, tonight.
Looking on the bright side, I DID get a BCRA newsletter the other day, but since I'm not a member of the BCRA, per se, I'm not sure whether to classify this as a screw-up, or as a bonus.

RodG

David Gibson

Post by David Gibson » Fri 02 Feb 2007 21:45

RodG wrote:Looking on the bright side, I DID get a BCRA newsletter the other day, but since I'm not a member of the BCRA, per se, I'm not sure whether to classify this as a screw-up, or as a bonus.
Definitely a bonus :-)

BCRA and BCA made the decision to "share" newsletters during this protracted "consolidation" period, to make sure that nobody missed out on anything; or suffered because of any delays. For example - both BCA and BCRA newsletters have been sporadic (volunteers, bla bla bla), but, if you are on the list to receive both, communications might be slightly less sporadic than otherwise. I dont suppose the arrangement will last beyond this summer.

Sending you the BCRA newsletter has, for example, meant that you have been warned, at the earliest opportunity, that the venue for Hidden Earth 2007 has had to be changed. (Well, not the earliest opportunity, but the earliest on paper).

Whilst on the subject of publications, and delays: Speleology #8 should go to the printers next week, I think.

David Gibson (BCRA Newsletter editor)

RodG

Post by RodG » Sat 03 Feb 2007 01:49

David Gibson wrote:
RodG wrote:Looking on the bright side, I DID get a BCRA newsletter the other day, but since I'm not a member of the BCRA, per se, I'm not sure whether to classify this as a screw-up, or as a bonus.
Definitely a bonus :-)

BCRA and BCA made the decision to "share" newsletters during this protracted "consolidation" period, to make sure that nobody missed out on anything; or suffered because of any delays. For example - both BCA and BCRA newsletters have been sporadic (volunteers, bla bla bla), but, if you are on the list to receive both, communications might be slightly less sporadic than otherwise. I dont suppose the arrangement will last beyond this summer.

Sending you the BCRA newsletter has, for example, meant that you have been warned, at the earliest opportunity, that the venue for Hidden Earth 2007 has had to be changed. (Well, not the earliest opportunity, but the earliest on paper).

Whilst on the subject of publications, and delays: Speleology #8 should go to the printers next week, I think.

David Gibson (BCRA Newsletter editor)
Ummm!, I might agree with you if this exact scenario had not been played out last year. I had a copy of the BCRA newsletter sent to me about the same time, and this was the last I heard from the BCA or the BCRA, until I started to raise hell, round about July, for the BCA membership card that I was entitled to, having renewed my subscription before the end of January. Once again, my renwal is in the post. I await developments with some interest. As to Speleologgy. I did get my due copies of these just in time for a Christmas read.

RodG

David Gibson

Post by David Gibson » Sat 10 Feb 2007 21:05

RodG wrote:As to Speleology. I did get my due copies of these just in time for a Christmas read.
Oh - youre that RodG. I have checked: you are on the mailing list for #8

RodG

Post by RodG » Sat 10 Feb 2007 22:29

David Gibson wrote:
RodG wrote:As to Speleology. I did get my due copies of these just in time for a Christmas read.
Oh - youre that RodG. I have checked: you are on the mailing list for #8
Ah, yes. And a special thank you, David. A most enjoyable read over Christmas. I'll be looking forward to #8

RodG

RodG

Post by RodG » Mon 19 Feb 2007 16:27

Wow. Now I am impressed. I posted my BCA sub off on the 3rd Feb, and I notice that the cheque arrived back in my bank account on the 9th. Such efficiency! I can hardly wait for my membership card to drop through my letter box, in a similar fashion.

RodG