PDF/Postscript/Truetype expert sought

BCRA News Forum. The BCRA online newsletter; announcement and discussion of items. The BCRA is a UK registered charity, and a constituent body of the BCA, undertaking charitable activities on its behalf.

Moderators: David Gibson, Gina

David Gibson

Post by David Gibson » Wed 08 Jul 2009 15:29

BCRA is experiencing a very peculiar problem in the generation of PDFs for Cave & Karst Science. The problem is that whilst the PDFs print correctly on our volunteers' PCs, they do not do so when they are sent to the Print Shop. The latest paper edition of C&KS contained a number of these errors, where the text layout suddenly goes crazy, with missing or overprinted characters, wrong characters and wrong text alignment.

We have previously experienced the same problem with the CREG journal using a completely different set of volunteers / hardware / software / print-shop. But, although the problem arises in this completely different environment, it is not reproducible. Asking the print shop to reprint a copy of the same PDF resulted in a flawless reproduction.

My suspicion is that there is a bug in the Postscript generation, tied to the use of certain Truetype fonts and that *some* printer drivers do not *always* correctly interpret the Postscript. I dont think it is a PC/Mac interface problem but .. .we dont really have any idea what the problem is other than that we "suspect" it is associated with printer drivers.

If there is anyone out there who is a TRUE expert in Postscript, PDF and Truetype fonts, we would be grateful for your advice.

nemo20000

Post by nemo20000 » Mon 03 Aug 2009 10:50

I can probably help.