3D Cave Photography

Online discussion forum for BCRA's Cave Radio & Electronics Group

Moderator: David Gibson

mfc

3D Cave Photography

Post by mfc » Sun 03 Feb 2013 11:57

Many thanks to Mike Bedford for (re-)awakening my interest in Stereo photographs and images. In the 1970s I did quite a bit -- including drawing up a 3D survey of Swildon's -- but somehow it lapsed.

Since being inspired by the article I found an as-new (used for 12 photos) Fuji W3 for £80 and am so far very pleased with the results it gets. I also discovered that the The Stereoscopic Society (http://www.stereoscopicsociety.org.uk/) meets once a month just 3 miles from where I live.

One comment on the article: Loreo viewers can be ordered online directly from Loreo at rather less cost than getting them in the UK. I ordered a Loreo Lite (for prints) and a Loreo Pixie (for larger prints/monitor viewing) for a total of £6.37, which included postage. They took about 10 days to arrive.

The Lite was $3.40 and the Pixie was $5.00; postage was $1.50.

Mike

Rob Gill

Re: 3D Cave Photography

Post by Rob Gill » Thu 07 Feb 2013 21:38

Thanks Mike, the link to the Stereoscopic Society is quite a find. I might try to get to one of their London meetings.

I'm currently struggling with a side by side mirror type of stereo viewer as I find that I can't train my eyes to let a side by side stereo pair fuse into a stereo image. I bought the viewer following a tip from Marc Le Blanc (and mentioned in a letter in CREGJ80, shortly to be posted to subscribers). Sadly I didn't check that it was suitable for spectacle wearers - and it's not! The eyepieces are inset into a curved face of the viewer and the frame of my specs stops me getting close enough to see through it! B@gg*r! Next time I'll be more careful...

Rob

mfc

Re: 3D Cave Photography

Post by mfc » Fri 08 Feb 2013 09:08

Ah, I think I know the kind of viewer you mean. That was one nice thing about the Stereo Soc. meeting I attended -- they had a lot of stereo viewers there (I was lucky, I think -- that's not true of every meeting, I was told) and discovered that same problem with one of them. Something like this: http://brianpink.tripod.com/st-view-viewer.jpg.

I'm currently using either anaglyph red-cyan (mostly because my graphics card will generate that automatically), which I don't really like, or the Loreo. It's a bit of a pain holding the latter up to one's eyes, however, so I'm tempted to get a monitor that works with passive polarized glasses (e.g., LG M2352D or M2452D).

Mike