Cuckoo Cleeves

Discussion about CSCC related issues.
CandaCSCC

Cuckoo Cleeves

Post by CandaCSCC » Wed 01 Mar 2006 10:14

The new owner of this site, Wayne Starsmore, has secured access on behalf of cavers - thanks to him for his selfless generosity. Despite requiring some remedial maintenance work on the entrance lid (care required) the cave remains accessible via the standard CSCC padlock, keys to which are held by Mendip clubs (and some further afield). Due to the fence being down for a while, livestock has been able to gather in the depression and mud has been known to obstruct the easy opening of the lid - please keep the lid closed when inside but be aware it is heavy so it helps to have someone strong enough to open it on the return up the ladder pitch.

David Cooke
Site Admin

Post by David Cooke » Thu 02 Mar 2006 11:20

Phil Hendy mentioned to me that there used to be an extra concrete ring on the entrance raising the gate up out of the mud and debris. The ring was removed after it was damaged in a break in attempt.

Since the gate is about to be replaced I wonder whether it is worth re-instating the extra ring?
Dave Cooke
BCA IT Working Party, BCA Web Services, National Cave Registry Co-ordinator, CSCC Webmaster

CandaCSCC

Post by CandaCSCC » Thu 02 Mar 2006 18:00

Perhaps, but...

how much are they?
where do you get them from?
how do you get it to the cave entrance?
who would be organising all of this?

Graham M

Post by Graham M » Thu 02 Mar 2006 18:47

CandaCSCC wrote:Perhaps, but...
You, of course. :wink:
Caving is for life, not just for Xmas

CandaCSCC

Post by CandaCSCC » Thu 02 Mar 2006 21:53

Shouldn't the owner be asked his thoughts about this matter and what will the CSCC treasurer have to say about this, Graham?

Graham M

Post by Graham M » Fri 03 Mar 2006 09:33

CandaCSCC wrote:Shouldn't the owner be asked his thoughts about this matter and what will the CSCC treasurer have to say about this, Graham?
Oh, of course, but if it happens, all the work will still be down to you.
Caving is for life, not just for Xmas

CandaCSCC

Post by CandaCSCC » Fri 03 Mar 2006 09:39

I rather get the feeling you're enjoying yourself while reminding me of the tasks I'm supposed to be engaged in.

David Cooke
Site Admin

Post by David Cooke » Fri 03 Mar 2006 15:44

CandaCSCC wrote:Perhaps, but...

how much are they?
where do you get them from?
how do you get it to the cave entrance?
I'll talk to Tuska. He's the font of all knowledge on sourcing concrete rings. Might even be able to get one for free.

Re. getting it there. If we have 4x4 access it'll go in my car - AFAIR they are the small rings. Otherwise roll it. :) How's the gate getting there?

Re. organising. Whoever is organising it now. You? Frome?

Quite right we need to clear all this with Wayne, although he should know since I cross-posted my original posting on the Wessex Forum.
Dave Cooke
BCA IT Working Party, BCA Web Services, National Cave Registry Co-ordinator, CSCC Webmaster

CandaCSCC

Post by CandaCSCC » Fri 03 Mar 2006 19:15

May I humbly suggest, Cookie, that you tip off Wayne to check this thread and give us his views?....

WayneS

Post by WayneS » Tue 14 Mar 2006 12:32

CandaCSCC wrote:May I humbly suggest, Cookie, that you tip off Wayne to check this thread and give us his views?....
Hi Folks

Installing an extra concrete ring seems to be a good idea and should stop mud and aborted lamb foetuses :shock: accumulating on the lid. Phil Hendy has a suitable ring at the Templeton dig and he's more than happy for it to be used at Cuckoo.

My only concern is that if this ring is installed then the new lid, constructed by Frome, probably won't fit. This will either need to modified or a new one made. Bear in mind that it is crucial that the cave is not left without a locked lid for any length of time.

David Cooke
Site Admin

Post by David Cooke » Tue 14 Mar 2006 14:51

Wayne wrote:Phil Hendy has a suitable ring at the Templeton dig and he's more than happy for it to be used at Cuckoo.
I think you will find it is actually Tuska's concrete ring - however he is also happy to donate it to Cuckoo.

I guess the next step is to talk to whoever it is in the Frome who's got the gate. Are any Frome members out there? (Use the phone in this day and age? Pah)
Dave Cooke

Canda@CSCC

Post by Canda@CSCC » Fri 25 Aug 2006 16:07

There remains (now unused) fence posts at Star Mine for re-use at Cuckoo Cleeves. There's also some old barbed wire and bits of scrap fencing which needs to be removed from SM.

It would be good not to have to use CSCC funds to hire a truck/skip so here's a general request for any cave-friendly person to assist collecting, transporting and/or disposing of the old Star Mine fencing materials - the posts need to go to Cuckoo Cleeves or be held in storage pending their re-use elsewhere.

It would be good to have Star Mine tidied up a bit.

Anyone?

canda@cscc.org.uk

Failing which I'll just hire a truck, do it myself and send the bill to CSCC.

David Cooke
Site Admin

Post by David Cooke » Fri 25 Aug 2006 16:22

Happy to help out with my truck, although it won't be until after I get back from Spain (16th Sept.)

Need to organise/check with Wayne if there is vehicle access to Cuckoo Cleeves.

Also the rubbish might be best taken to the corporation tip in a car. They can get a bit touchy about it being non-domestic waste.
Dave Cooke

Canda@CSCC

Post by Canda@CSCC » Fri 25 Aug 2006 18:49

I was informed some time ago by Wayne that there is (as was guessed) no right of access to CC by vehicles so permission will be required from the landowner. Problem is no-one seems to know who the landowner is and I'm not sure that standing in the middle of flippin' nowhere yelling my head off shouting "Who owns this land on which I am standing?" is going to be very productive.

So, step one: who owns the land?

Once that's known permission to drive across it will be needed.

Presuming that's granted a vehicle can then collect the Star Mine gubbins and drive it across to the CC fenced area for storage.

Problem with dumping stuff at municiple dump is that there are sections of splintered wood containing muchos nails and I'm not having my car ripped to shreds, ta muchly.

All offers of assistance warmly welcomed and grasped with alacrity.

Canda@CSCC

Post by Canda@CSCC » Sat 09 Sep 2006 20:31

If CC is to have a different lid to the one Frome CG fabricated, what's the possibility of the Frome CG lid being suitable for installation at Coral Cave (the present lid is no longer fit for purpose, being 12 million* years old)?

* This is an exaggeration.